Sprinkled With Love

Welcome to Sprinkled With Love! I started this blog in 2009 when I started taking Wilton cake decorating classes, as a way to share my decorated cakes with others. Since then my family & friends have kept me busy creating birthday cakes, wedding cakes & more. Sprinkled with love has grown to be so much more since then. Please take a look around to see what I have been up to, and remember, share some love and leave a comment!



Friday, December 2, 2011

Coconut Cream Cupcakes

I have finally settled into our new home in Norfolk, VA and am looking forward to a season of baking delicious treats!  My goal this year is to develop a recipe of ten cupcakes that I will offer to people for special events, whether it be a birthday party, wedding or business event.  Before I moved, I had the honour of making 200 cupcakes for my cousin Morgan's wedding.  It was a great experience and I learned a lot.  Thank goodness my Mom and Auntie were willing to help bake, as I got called into sub the two days I had booked for making and decorating the cupcakes!  The three flavours the bride and groom chose were Vanilla (they had a splash of lemon), Chocolate (with a touch of Zucchini) and Carrot cake (with a bit of apple too)!  Each of them were covered with buttercream icing.  I was happy with the taste and how moist the cupcakes were.  I learned, however, that I needed to invest in a few bigger decorating tips to help make the cupcakes look more beautiful.  Shortly after arriving in Norfolk, I made my way down to Michaels to pick up a few tips and couldn't wait to use them...I am very happy with the results and look forward to using them for many events in the future!

On to the Coconut Cream Cupcakes!  The cupcakes are made with coconut milk, have a coconut cream filling with shredded coconut, and then are frosted with whipped cream and topped with toasted coconut!
They are delicious, but I wanted to share a few points with you that I learned along the way.  I opted to toast my own coconut in the oven, and learned that when you open the oven door, make sure you keep your eyes far away, until the door has been open for a bit.  Not only did I get a blast of heat in my face, but my eyes burned like I have never felt before!  This is a lesson I will not soon forget!  Secondly, if you keep the cupcakes in the fridge, bring them to room temperature before serving.  They will be easier to eat and taste so much better!


Mmmm!  I can't wait to share these with everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...