Sprinkled With Love

Welcome to Sprinkled With Love! I started this blog in 2009 when I started taking Wilton cake decorating classes, as a way to share my decorated cakes with others. Since then my family & friends have kept me busy creating birthday cakes, wedding cakes & more. Sprinkled with love has grown to be so much more since then. Please take a look around to see what I have been up to, and remember, share some love and leave a comment!



Saturday, May 26, 2012

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

I was so excited when we moved to Oklahoma City in the fall of 2011.  I was looking forward to a new adventure in a part of the US that I had never been to before, plus I heard that the weather was pretty awesome too!

We lived at The Lincoln at Central Park and enjoyed it a lot.  There were two gyms, two swimming pools, several bbq's, a pool table and a little dog park.  We lived in a two bedroom that was spacious and very reasonably priced.  Our friends lived in a three bedroom and it was really nice as well. 



There is so much to do in OKC, that I don't know where to start, so I am going to share with you 11 places that I think you should visit if you ever visit OKC.

1. The Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum were by far the top places I got to visit while in OKC.  It is a beautifully done tribute to those who lost their lives in the Oklahoma City Bombing and is sure to have a lasting impression on everyone who visits.  Please check out my old photography posts here and here for more information, and to see some of my photos.  I recommend giving yourself a lot of time at the museum as there is so much to see. 


2.  Bricktown is a great part of the city.  There is a canal that you can walk along, or take a boat ride on.  At the end of the canal there is a Land Rush Monument, depicting the Land Rush that occurred in 1889.  It is a remarkable sculpture with amazing details.  I highly recommend both options.  Along the canal, there are lots of great restaurants.  If you like sushi, make sure to check out In The Raw.  There are a few little cute shops to do some shopping, but not much.  Overall, it has a great atmosphere and is a great place to hang out on a nice day.  After Thanksgiving, they decorate along the canal very beautifully.



 3. When my sister came to visit, we visited The Overholser Mansion.  We enjoyed touring this 1903, 11,000+ square foot home with many of the original furnishings. The tour costs $7 for adults and includes the Carriage House.  My sister and I both enjoyed learning about some of the history of this area.


4.  Take a tour of the Historic Harn Homestead Museum. This outdoor museum is original Land Run property and part of Oklahoma's unique history.  Admission is $5 and includes a guided tour of the Harn House.  We learned a lot from the tour and enjoyed walking around the property. 


5. The Martin Nature Center is a great area to go for a walk and enjoy some time with nature.


6. The State Capitol building is a great place to visit if you enjoy history and politics.  Admission is free, with tours running every hour.  We missed the sign for where the tours started, so we walked around on our own.  There were lots of beautiful murals and paintings throughout the building, as well as some write ups on the history of Oklahoma.  While we thoroughly enjoyed our visit, I would have loved to have listened to the guided tour as I am sure they would have shared a lot of information.  If I remember correctly, tours begin near the Gift Shop so make sure you keep your eyes open for the signs!


 7.  National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum.  If you enjoy Western History, Art and Culture then this is the place for you.  I really enjoyed the Native American Gallery, the Western Performers Gallery and walking through Prosperity Junction.  The museum is big so make sure to allow yourself lots of time.  If I remember correctly, there are some videos you can watch too, but we ran out of time.  They have a nice store and the garden area is very beautiful as well.


8. Remington Park was one of my husband's favourite spots to visit.  We had never been to horse racing before but we had a lot of fun, and recommend it for a day out.

9. The Oklahoma City Zoo was a great way to spend a day, especially for the kids.  They have lots of exhibits, including the Oklahoma Trail that give an insight to the animals and plants that live in the state of Oklahoma.  The elephant exhibit was new the year we were there and it was very nice.  They also have a Barnyard petting zoo, and a playground for the kids to run around and play in.



10.  The Oklahoma City Science Museum is another great place to visit for the whole family.  There is lots to see, but more importantly, there is lots to DO.  There are many interactive exhibits that are fun for all ages.  It is a great way to spend the afternoon!

11. I couldn't have a complete list without mentioning the sports teams.  Make sure to support the OKC Barons hockey team, the RedHawks baseball team, and the OKC Thunder basketball team.  If you get the chance, I also highly recommend that you support the local University sports teams as well.  We had the opportunity to go to an Oklahoma University Football game and had a great time!



I couldn't finish this post without telling you a little bit about Turner Falls Park, OK.  Located about an hour and twenty minutes from OKC, it is one of the largest waterfalls in the state.  It is very beautiful and you can even go swimming under the waterfall.  I would definately recommend the road trip!


Have you ever been to OKC?  If so, I would love to hear about what you love best about this amazing city.  If not, what would be the first thing you would want to do if you ever get to visit OKC?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...